Sunday, February 12, 2006

Powerful Words

I was reminded again this morning of the timlessness of Scripture. I read a John Piper sermon that he gave when I was exactly 1 week old...22 years ago, and it was exactly what I needed to hear today, at this time in my life. It was slightly ironic that the sermon was about the Bible being the "Kindling of Christian Hedonism" - and speaking about the truth of the Bible, and how we are to dwell and meditate on its words in order to remain joyful in our faith. It's amazing that what was written over 2000 years ago is still grounded in truth and applicable to my life today. I still need to hold tightly to the sword of word of God (Ephesians 6) so that I can fight for the joy of my faith. So that I can have life and faith and hope and freedom and guidance and wisdom and comfort and assurance and victory. The God of the Holy scriptures that made it active and living in Moses and Paul and David's lives generations ago, and the same God that inspired this sermon in John Piper's heart 22 years ago is doing it in mine today. Incredible.

No comments: