Monday, January 23, 2006

"In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." -Psalms 5:3

This morning I read this verse and for some reason the word "lay" just jumped out at me. I began wondering what it might look like to "lay" my requests before God each morning, how I do that, and what implications it may have.

I was drying my hair, and thinking about these things when I realized that my blinds were still closed. I usually keep them closed when I get out of the bed because it's still dark outside, then I get in the shower, and by the time I get out the sun usually begins peeking up over the horizon, so I ALWAYS open them to let the daylight in. (It's actually one of those lil' idiosyncracies of mine - if it's daylight outside, the blinds are definitely going to be open). So, I am drying my hair and realize that I haven't opened them yet, and it should be time for it to be getting light outside. I turn off the dryer, and walk to open my blinds, and I realize that I can't see anything outside because of the dense fog that has settled right outside of my porch.

The first thing I thought of is the word "lay." The fog was settled in so thick and covered absolutely everything, seeming to just be "laying" there so soft and still. That is exactly what the Lord wants us to do. To spill ourselves out, to lay our requests - no matter how thick they may be - at His feet and be still and wait in expectation for Him to deal with them in the way He chooses. Just as the fog is sure to rise, the Lord is sure to handle our requests, carry them, and lift them in His time. We are just asked to lay them before Him and wait.

Seems so simple....

so often I make it so hard...

No comments: