Wednesday, January 11, 2006

don't talk to strangers...MINUS the don't

I met a man named George tonight. He was sitting across from me at Barnes and Noble reading some computer magazines and I learned a lot about life through our conversation.

George was a man who, just by looking at him, you knew wasn't "quite right." He was probably in his 40's but looked as if he was much older. He walked very rigidly, slow, deliberate, and laborious (and the PT in me noticed that he had some leg braces under his pants legs). His hands shook, he seemed nervous, and when I spoke to him, or he spoke to me, he didn't seem to be able to locate where exactly to look, so it looked as if he was kind of blankly staring at me or somewhere near me.

But George was an incredible man. I feel like a lot of people at first sight may just dismiss him. May think that he wouldn't understand things if you talked to him, or think that it'd be a waste of time to even try. And I'll be honest, I thought some of the same things. But for some reason, I kept feeling compelled to talk to him (probable things behind this reasoning: God and Brianne).

So, I tried to make some converation. A slightly failed attempt. I continued to read, then tried to make another attempt. A little better outcome than the previous, but still no real conversation. I almost decided to just leave him to his magazines, and me to my books, but wanted to try just one more time. I felt like he just needed to know someone cared, or that someone wanted to be his friend. So, I tried again. This time was different. After a few questions in which he would just say "yes" or "no" or repeat what I asked him, he began to open up. This, friends, was exciting.

In his slow, slightly slurred, thoughtful speech, he began telling me some things, and I'd ask him some questions, and I'd tell him some things - which eventually lead to him telling me about a big part of his life: he has been through 2 heart transplant surgeries. Two. WOW. That's pretty big stuff, folks. He told me that the first one was all his fault. He smoked 4 packs of cigarettes a day, which eventually lead to abnormal destruction of his heart, hence, the need for a transplant in 1994. His body rejected the first heart, so he underwent another transplant surgery in 2001....and he's still with us today, which is a miracle in itself.

He seems to have been through a lot in life. He says the ER and CCU doctors at MUSC know him by name, and that he's even had to call an ambulance to come pick him up from Barnes and Noble 4 or 5 times. He's had several near-death experiences, and been through more therapy and rehab than most people can imagine. He has serious damage, in most every sense of the word....but was such a big encouragement to me tonight.

He somehow learned to laugh about his struggles. While we were talking an ambulance sped by with its lights and siren on and he smiled and said "I have a joke, when I see or hear those, I tell people they're coming to get me."

After talking for a little while, a van drove up to the window and flashed its lights, meaning he had to leave. He stood slowly, got his bookbag, we said goodnight and he shuffled out. I assume he lives in a home with other "disabled" men and women. I wished he didn't have to leave, but he said he comes to Barnes and Noble almost every night if he gets the chance. I plan on returning just so I can talk with him again. I'm hoping that maybe some sort of relationship will form, Lord willing. That he will be able to see that I care for him in a big way, and more than that, that he will be able to see Jesus through me. Through a simple friendship. A thing that we often take for granted, but that if I'd have to guess, George is missing out on.

I learned a lot tonight from my conversation George. More than I will write on here. I tried to encourage him as much as I could, and I can only pray that I somehow showed him that he was loved.

I encourage you to keep your eyes and your heart open to see people that need to be loved (yep - that's everyone). Don't be afraid to talk to strangers (no matter what your mom told you growing up), to meet new people, to share and listen to those you just meet. I'll be willing to guess that you will walk away more encouraged than they will, many times...just as I was tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

=)

Mark "Sleeve" Smyers said...

Good story...I enjoy talking to older people, especially older people I dont know. If you can get past the outter shell, I feel like they have so much wisdom from all the life they've done. They have stories and experiences that can teach you so much. Plus...old people usually have candy.

Anonymous said...

thank you for encouraging me and challenging me today! i pray that the Lord opens up many more doors for you to continue conversations with George and well, for that matter...many others that you will come in contact with. god bless you katie and press on!!!