Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006.

Reflection:

2006 was by far the worst year of my life. But, along with the worst year of my life, I also think it is the year where I have learned the most and perhaps the year that I have grown the most.

It has been a very "real" year, if that makes any sense. Life was a roller coaster ride, in which (to steal a thought from Incubus), I felt like I was not strapped in a lot of the time.

But, I have truly learned what grace is. I have seen the grace of God cover my life, I have been shown grace not only from the Lord, but from some of my closest friends, and I have experienced what it truly means show others grace. And that, my friends, is huge. Grace is amazing - and it truly is a sweet, sweet sound.

I felt bondage, but then experienced freedom. My heart wept, but was able to sing praises of joy when the tears were dried. I have felt guilt and forgiveness; pain and pleasure; the weight of a broken heart and the weightlessness of picking up the pieces. My soul has been torn apart and mended; my faith questioned and proven, and Christ has shown me His love.

So, in all of the hurt, in all of the pain, in all of the brokenness that this past year brought, I am able to "rejoice in my sufferings, because I know that suffering produces perserverence; perserverance; charachter; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into my heart by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given me." (Romans 5)

Thank you, Lord for the worst year of my life, in which in the end, I have seen and experienced the power of your mercy and the fullness of your grace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, just wanted you to know that you brigthened every day of my year :) Can't wait to see you next week!!

Anonymous said...

hmm...how to say this? i'm thankful/blessed that i got to walk through a bit of this with you and that i've been able to see HIM work in such unbelievable ways. i'd agree in saying it has been the hardest but i feel it safe to say that it's also the one in which i've seen Him work the most! thanks for letting me be a part of your life katie.