Friday, December 01, 2006

my inspiration

Well folks, I think I have figured it out. As I lay in the bed last night watching David the Gnome on my computer, I realized that David is perhaps the reason I am in the medical profession. Seriously, David has been a doctor for 300 years, and saved creatures all over the world (despite being a mere 6 inches tall). Swift, his fox, would take him anywhere he wanted to go, but it was "pleasant riding a feasant" and if he had to go a long way he'd ride a goose, or if it was a quick visit, he'd sometimes ride on a rabbit...but regardless of how he got to the scene, he would always save the day with his surgical and doctor skills.

This was one of my very favorite shows growing up, if not my favorite, and I really do think it could have had a huge impact on my life. Going back and rewatching it I realized that it is also a very "issue conscious" cartoon. It talked about polution, and being friendly to the environment, and to animals, and being nice to your friends, and all sorts of great things.

I'm going to buy the season on DVD (yes, it is on DVD that you can buy online) when I have kids, and make them watch it. It's pretty incredible.

As the show was coming on, the song came on, and man it felt like I was a kid sitting in front of the tv just yesterday - as I started humming the tune, and smiling when the rabbits dance, and David picks up his wife and swings her around. Oh man...good times.

Gotta love David the Gnome. And if you've never experienced this 80's cartoon...you totally should - it may even change your world.

"Look around you...
There are many things to see...
That some would say could never be...
These things i know...
its true and i will tell you so...
they are there to see if you believe...

Trolls and Wizards
And Fairy Kings
Birds That talk and Fish that sing...
and if your heart is true....
then you will find them too....

In every wish and dream and happy home...
You will find the kingdom of....
The Gnomes."

David the Gnome Theme Song Introduction

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie! It's funny how you found me and the day I choose to write back, you inspire me with posting about my favorite TV show as a kid! David the Gnome is by FAR the coolest (all the cool kids think so). Anyway, how have you been? My email is bstras2809@yahoo.com if you wanna catch up. Good luck with everything and may God bless you and your family this holiday season!

Anonymous said...

love love love david the gnome. i could probably sing you the whole song right this second.