Sunday, February 25, 2007

this, that, and the other.

I got one of the most awesome compliments ever tonight. Rachel said these words to me: "you are SO Ellen's long lost fraternal twin!!!! Seriously." It was a fabulous moment in my life. I heart Ellen, as most of you know, so to hear those words brought a smile to my face. Maybe I like her so much because she's awesome like I am. Uhh, I mean...
No seriously - thanks Rach...you know how to make a girl smile.

I've decided that I'm going to read straight through the gospels over the course of the next however long it takes me. I started tonight in Matthew, of course. Should be cool. It's the story of Jesus, how could it not be?

I witnessed an unbelievable event yesterday. That's right, it's true. Mark and I went to the grocery store - and EVERY parking spot was full, including the handicap and expectant mother parking spots. There were people driving around looking and waiting for spots to open up, like at the mall during Christmas season. It was insane. I mean, who's ever seen that at a grocery store? Harris Teeter was hoppin' I tell ya. They probably all heard that I was going to be there, and that I was Ellen's fraternal twin, so wanted to catch a glimpse. It's all I can figure.

I cooked dinner last night, which was also another first, because I think for the first time ever in my short-lived cooking career I made a meal that had at least 3 different foods involved, in which case NONE of them, I repeat, NONE of them were out of a box, bag, or can, pre-made. I made a poppy-seed chicken casserole, a rice/cream of mushroom gravy-ish concoction, and some zucchini. The rice, of course was from a bag, but all rice is, right? It wasn't one of those "8 minute" rice things though that is already flavored and stuff....it was just a bag of plain rice that I started with, to make a deluctible side-item. And it all turned out delicious. Crazy, I know.

I cooked french toast this morning for breakfast, too.

I'm a machine. Can't nobody hold me down.

Clemson basketball is on a downward slide, and it saddens my heart. Perhaps they can turn it back on in the ACC tournament. But, alas! good news! It is almost MARCH. The best time of the year. College basketball at its finest, ladies and gentlemen....sigh....you can't get much better than that. I'm stoked.

I learned today that my lil' 3 year old nephew is now on a soccer team and has cleats and shin-guards. I'll be honest, I can't think of anything more cute than that at the moment. I'm gonna take my cleats home this weekend when I go, and play some soccer with him in the yard, because we are just THAT awesome when we get together. He's the man.

I just read this, so I will leave you with it. An awkward transition for an ending, but - it's good, so I will write it anyways. It's from John the Baptist, in Matthew Chapter 3. He says:

"The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I (Jesus), whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Dang. There's power all over this man named Jesus.

1 comment:

Mark "Sleeve" Smyers said...

The dinner was amazing. I went back for seconds:-)

I will absolutly agree with you...there is nothing cuter than Tyler with little cleats and shin guards, playing on a soccer team. Thats great. We have to go to a game or two.

That picture that John the Baptist is painting of Jesus doesn't quite match up to the picture we have of Jesus a lot of times...(with the fuzzy bunnies and butterflies). He says that Jesus has an ax at the base of a tree...ready to cut it down and throw it in the fire, if it doesn't produce good fruit. He doesn't have time for punks and posers. This isn't a game. These fires burn forever...they are unquenchable.

Good stuff babe.