Tuesday, August 15, 2006

this, that and the other

This was going to be a good, long post....but it's now later than I intended it to be and I need to sleep so I won't be exhausted tomorrow at work.

Yes, work. I'm a workin' girl these days - 8-5 everyday officially...longer than that unofficially. It's been interesting thusfar...and fun. Yesterday was my first day, and it wasn't all that great - not bad...just not great. Today was different though - I got to see some new patients and watch/help with some initial evaluations on some interesting patient cases.

My first patient came in this morning and we were doing an initial evaluation on him and he reported that he was HIV positive...so that was a little eye opener. We found also that he had significantly diminished sensation in his feet and hands - so got to try to research what may cause that since he wasn't diabetic and it wasn't neuropathies secondary to his condition. Turns out it is more than likely due to the HIV and HIV medication. The next lady was a patient who had previously had a stroke and came in for back pain that was so excruciating she began crying during therapy. But she didn't really fit a "pattern" - so my "boss" and I got to sit around and chat about some possibilities, and theories, and I got to give my suggestions and reasonings for my thinking and it was really fun. Just bouncing ideas off of each other like colleagues...it was great.

The next patient I saw was my favorite part of the day. She is a high school basketball and soccer player who came in after having shoulder surgery. It was her first treatment post-op and was so much fun. I got to talk with her and swap stories and just have a good time while we were getting some work done...and I absolutely loved it. I felt like I could relate to her so well, and we had so much in common and it was just absolutely fantastic. It made me realize that I really really love that population and would love to one day work with youth and young adult athletes.

Ok so this post is longer than I expected.

Also, aside from learning something great and reassuring about potential future plans, I also learned another one of my favorite things. Reading poetry with Brianne. The other night we just laid in bed and read poetry, and can I tell you...it put the hugest smile on my face. I did most of the reading and loved every second of it. It ranks right up there with some other of my favorite things in life.

You know what else is a good thing in life? when you take a picture for an ID card of some sort and it actually turns out to be a good picture. Usually pictures like that where everyone will see them all of the time turn out to be absolutely terrible of you...but today I got my ID badge made at the hospital and well...I was pleased. That was a nice perk to my day...haha.

I like ice cream.

I went on a run tonight and it was really great.

I also talked to my long lost pal Amol from high school - and he's coming to Columbia this week, so we're gonna get to hangout. He's absolutely hillarious, and we haven't talked in FOREVER...so we're both pretty pumped about the fact that we're gonna see each other. I believe he lives in Pittsburg now, after graduating from the University of Michigan.

OK, now I will make myself go to bed and quit typing all of the random things that enter my mind. It's just how I roll though, I guess.

Peace out playas....

1 comment:

A.J. said...

I like you!