Tuesday, May 09, 2006

slightly paranoid.


I went hiking today. About 6 miles....and I found a tick on me in the process. No big deal, right? I saw it on my leg, peeled it off, went on with the hike. Well, my roomate then found one on her ankle several hours after we returned. Then the paranoia set in. Were there more? Could they have already entered us? Were they in our hair? Then of course you start itching...everywhere. And you start noticing little tingles or sensations on your skin and you become even more paranoid. Then you start researching ticks, and lyme disease symptoms, all the while you're still scratching and inspecting every little itch. ohhhh good times. but hey, you still gotta love hiking. I was actually probably getting ticks all over me during this picture...I'm hard core though, I can take it. haha.


Disclaimer for all of you who are worried: it turns out that it is actually very rare that ticks will cause any health problems, even if they have been "feeding" on you and are carrying any bacteria/diseases/etc. Lyme disease only occurs in about 1.2 to 1.4 percent of those who have been a host to an infected tick, and it can be treated with antibiotics if you are in fact infected. (yes, my paranoid self has done a little research...haha).

Happy trails to you!

2 comments:

Mark "Sleeve" Smyers said...

I dont think I have actually seen a tick in person. I dont think they are all that prevalent in NY. Im glad you got to go hiking today though. Thats always a good time. Hey, did you do any Gator Callin?

Katie said...

Mark - I did do some gator calling...no luck, though. It musta been you who attracted them last week...

Blake - sorry I made you itch. I've never met anyone with Lyme's Disease...I envy you.

Mattables - I'm glad you're back again and kickin, that is a crappy way to die. I thought the stick was good for affect - someone left it lying nicely in my path, so why wouldn't I pick it up, I mean seriously. Call me when you're in town - we will definitely hike...somewhere that has cold drinks and good music.