Thursday, May 17, 2007

YAHWEH

Yahweh. That's God's name. God told us His name. How awesome is that? God was called many things in the Bible, "El Shaddai" (God Almighty), "El Elyon" (God Most High), etc. but those names just describe God. Like calling me "daughter," "student," or "friend." But, my name...is "Katie." There's a sense of belonging, of closeness, of friendship, when you call someone their name. I absolutely love it when people say my name. I actually told Mark that the other day. If someone says to me, "I love you" it is a great feeling...but if someone says to me, "I love you, Katie." - wow. It changes everything for me. There is ownership in it. There is some extra little spark to the statement that brings it to life.

Yahweh. God told us His name. Well, really, God told Moses His name. God told Moses "I AM who I AM. When you go to the people of Israel, tell them 'I AM sent me to you." Then, he later reminded Moses, "I am Yahweh. To Abraham and Isaac and Jacob I appeared as El Shadai; I did not make myself known to them by my name Yahweh."

God never gave us a definition of the word "Yahweh" but it seems to be a combination meaning "I am" and "I cause." God is the one who is, and the one who causes.

And that is big.

It means that God is unchanging. When we use the words "I am" - they are usually followed by an adjective. Right? I am....happy. I am....sad. I am...frustrated. But God didn't follow it with any adjective...He only said "I AM." That is because God never changes. He doesn't need a description. He is what He is and what He has always been.

God is. God is constant. He is solid. He is unchanging...and that is comforting. No matter where we go, God is there. No matter what our mood, God is steadfast. No matter what baggage we are carrying, God is the same today as he was yesterday and will be tomorrow. It is comforting to have that consistency in my life. To know that there is a God who created me and loves me unconditionally - and CANNOT and WILL NOT be changed. He is a still point in our chaotic lives.

Yahweh....

1 comment:

alysong said...

thank you. i needed this today. hope you are well!