Sunday, November 20, 2005

Yes, I am a nerd.

Big News: I now have a favorite muscle. I'm sure most people reading this may not be too enthused, but it's a pretty exciting thing for me. You see, here in nerd-ville (aka: medical school) people tend to "adopt" a favorite muscle, disease, bone, nerve, etc...that just really excites them, or whatever. I've been lacking in this "favorite" department for a few months now, and welp, tonight I've discovered that my favorite muscle is (drum roll please......) the Palmaris Brevis. I think I like it so much because it makes just makes me laugh. Seriously, I laughed for a long time tonight over this thing. It just seems so non-functional and just....i dunno...great. I think I'll make this an interactive blog. Right now as you're reading I'd like for you to pick up your right hand and look at your palm. For real - do it. OK, now, right where your wrist meets your hand there is a crease and your palmaris brevis is located just above that crease on the pinky side of your hand. If you move your pinky finger a little bit you can kind of see this muscle flex a little -- it's just a tiny little triangle type muscle that's maybe like an inch and a half by an inch and a half big. crazy huh? One of its official actions is to "corrugate the skin of the palm" (this helps with grip....slightly) - but seriously, I think they just say that to make it feel important, so its feelings won't get hurt amongst all the other big-bad muscles of the hand. This isn't the greatest picture in the world, but you can check out the cause of all this excitement by going here - and seeing just what makes me smile so much. Enjoy!

SIMPLY AMAZING

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply amazing! :)