Friday, April 15, 2005

life is good.

Today is absolutely beautiful. I'm sitting now in my room with the windows open, looking at the sunlight beaming through, and feeling the nice breeze...while listening to a few tunes, of course. NICE.

I walked around campus today for the first time all semester. It was weird. I didn't feel like a student. I guess it's because I'm not. I went to do some scholarship stuff, and had to go use a computer lab, as well as get a teacher recommendation - so off to campus I went. I walked from Sirrine over to Bracket - where I saw my friend Margaret, who was one of my best friends in High School, but whom I rarely see since we've come to college - and I saw my buddy PJ. I got to chat with them both for awhile, which is always a pleasure. Then off to Edwards I trekked. To be such a familiar walk, it seemed strangely unfamiliar. I felt out of place for some reason.
As soon as I walked in the door of edwards though, it was like I was home again. I know it's weird - but it's true. I spent so much of the past two years in that building, that as soon as the doors opened, and the smell surrounded me, it felt normal again. It was nice.

I am going to miss this campus. It's close to perfect here. I drove past Bowman and of course, there were hundreds of people playing soccer and frisbee and football and volleyball. I walked under the shade trees behind Fort Hill. I thought about my time here - and how I will be leaving in less than a month. It's crazy to think. In ways I feel like I've already left, but parts of me don't want to let go.

I don't want to let go of the people who have made my time here so wonderful. I don't want to let go the amazing spring days, or the football games. I don't want to let go of the many weekday nights I've spent on the intramural fields playing the things I love with all of my best friends and teamates for 4 years whom I've come to know so well. I don't want to let go of the serenity this place offers me. The beauty. The peace.

I love it here, but I know it's time to go. I'm ready to start something new - be in a new place - meet new people - start over again. Yea, I'm a little nervous - but I'm excited all at the same time. I am a much different person leaving, than I was 4 years ago when I came in. That makes me excited. I have found myself...for the most part. I know more now what makes my heart beat. What really matters to me in life. I have become more open minded. I have learned what love really is...or well, I think. Honestly, I don't remember much from the books I've read or the classes I've taken - but to me, that's not what's important in life. I've tried to love God, and love people. I've tried lived life to the full and I've taken the time to enjoy it. It's too short to not do those things.

Actually, I'm going to go do that now. You should too. Go outside. Breathe the air, smell the grass, look at the blue sky, listen to the birds. Let the wind brush your cheeks, and be reminded of God's grace. Be thankful. Be content. Be still. Be joyful. And enjoy life.

Much love...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie-
Awesome to read those words. It reminds me not to take such things for granted over the next year that I am here. Yes, school is important, but the people - the amazing people at this university is something not to be overlooked...I'm gonna miss you...you're the best! :) -Les

Anonymous said...

kate,
my heart longs to make these moments last forever. this time has been beautiful in so many ways. i'm glad i have gotten to share these past two years with you. when we're gone in less than a month, part of my heart will remain in all the most beautiful things that life had to offer me here. i love you
meghan marie