Monday, October 24, 2005

Emersed in Green...

I wish I could talk like I used to be able to. Really. I used to be able to coherently share my thoughts and feelings and opinions with people on a regular basis – but it seems these days that it has gotten harder to do.


I have all these thoughts inside of my head with seemingly nowhere to go. I told Bri today, that I feel like only about 30% of my thoughts actually come out of my mouth to be shared with the world --- I wish it was a little higher of a number. Not that the majority of my thoughts are important or profound, nor would many, if anybody, care to know them – I just wish that it was a little easier to do. I find it almost impossible to get them out. I just can’t seem to wrap words around them…


I have these perfectly coherent thoughts….thoughts that linger in my head for minutes or even hours at a time. I sort through them, sift around in my brain for awhile, expand upon them, negate them, and all those sorts of things – but when it comes time to verbalize anything I seem to talk myself in circles, lose my train of thought, and just flat out stumble through awkwardly. It’s hard to understand….


I think that somewhere along the way recently, my thoughts got linked to my emotions – two things that had been kept apart for oh so long. My emotions have been kept locked up tight in this vault for a very long time, and to be honest, it’s sometimes hard to understand why they seep out at the times they do. Emotions are a big time thing for me…they mean I feel…and when I feel there is a sense of vulnerability; a fear of being hurt; or not being able to seem like the strong individual I am often perceived of being. Granted, I’m pretty sure that this isn’t the only reason for my “lisping, stammering tongue” as Andrew Peterson likes to call it, but perhaps it is a contributor. I’m OK with it though – because life isn’t worth living unless you allow yourself to feel…and I’d much rather have trapped thoughts than a lifeless heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of a past conversation we had when you were back in clemson...besides, you share your feelings through your actions and it says more than enough...you're good at that you know...not many people are.

Mark "Sleeve" Smyers said...

i feel your pain. its almost like a piece of the puzzle is missing. like you skip a step when moving information from your brain and heart to your mouth.

communication is so difficult, yet so important. i need a very understanding wife.